Thursday, March 26, 2015


 Anna Karenina / Анна Каренина
Anna Karenina is a novel by Leo Tolstoi, written during the Russian Realism. The book was published in 1877/78 and deals with marriage and moral in the Russian nobility during the 19th century. 
On the 19th of March, I attended a lecture about Anna Karenina by famous scholar Rosamund Bartlett. She presented with such passion, she totally drew me into the topic. I thought it was incredible how Leo Tolstoi used something “simple” as the railroad as a thread throughout the whole book. It really impressed me how creative and erudite an author needs to be in order to create a story around key features such as the railroad.
Normally I am not a big fan of novels, but Rosamund Bartlett opened my eyes to the greatness of novels. Authors pick the tiniest details for a reason; they want to tell us something with it! Sometimes it is not as obvious, and takes time and context knowledge to get the clue. However, I decided to give novels a chance and bought Anna Karenina online.    


No comments: