Monday, April 2, 2012

A Clockwork Orange

Although the story itself has nothing to do with Russia, the main character and his peers speak a sort of "Russified English" slang, known as Nadsat (which itself comes from the suffix -teen in numbers: тринадцать). For example: malenky means small, and a droog is a friend. A lot of words in the book are of Russian derivation, and the author doesn't provide a key. So, if you don't know any Russian (as I didn't when I read this book), it takes a couple of chapters before you're able to figure out what the hell everyone is talking about.


Although it is very disturbing, it is a very good book.

1 comment:

Darla said...

I have 2 hard copies, including the original American release lacking the original final chapter and the new edition, the cover of which you show in the blog. I also have the videotape, the original DVD, and the anniversary edition blu-ray DVD. And the e-edition on my Nook. Yes, I love this book and movie!!!