Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Russian Flag


Russia!

I just bought a Russian Flag for my roommate and I as decoration. She was born in Novasibirsk and it helps her and I (now that I am learning so much russian) feel more at home. I was curious how the flag design and colors were chosen. It turns The design of the Russian flag is based on the flag of the Netherlands. The colors are often referred to as the pan-Slavic colors because the russian flag has inspired the flags of many others in Europe. They have come to depict Slavic independence and unity. There is no documented meaning of the colors but to many russians the colors have their own messages. The white symbolizes generosity and frankness; blue stands for loyalty, honesty and wisdom; red means courage, magnanimity and love. Many people also believe red represents Russian people, blue represents the Ukrainians, and white represents the Belo Russians. Russia is compiled of mostly russians but also small groups of other descendents that pride themselves on the flag just as strongly.

No comments: