Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We all need a little pop to brighten our day....

As a child of the 90's, it is my duty to incorporate a little pop into my blogs. In my quest to find information about Russian pop music, I found this little nugget of knowledge.

Did you know that modulation (moving from one key to another in a song) was a Russian invention? Seems that this 13-century technique remains characteristic of Russian pop music today.

I found this breakdown of the songs that modulate:

Modulations
47% - Up a half-step
45% - Up a whole-step
7% - Up a minor-third
1% - Any downward modulation (known as a McTerry 7th modulation)
Other modulations do occur, however the percentages are so low as to be irrelevant.

74% of Russian pop songs modulate to a new key between the final bridge and final chorus.

Enjoy some good ol' Russian boy band modulation!




There's also a Russian version of the Pussycat Dolls.... It doesn't modulate, but it's pretty entertaining.




Here's a Russian female singer named Polina Gagarina. She doesn't modulate, but I enjoyed her videos. Thought I'd share. She's cute and catchy. What more can you ask for?

1 comment: