1. Don't go to visit someone empty-handed. Bring a small gift of some kind.
2. Don't wear your shoes into someone's house. Remove them at the door.
3. Don't make jokes about parents. This is the Russian equivalent of an ethnic joke.
4. Don't toast with "Na Zdorov'ye!"
5. Don't be greedy. If you express an interest in a particular object traditional Russians will often offer it to you. Refuse. They will offer several times but you shouldn't accept.
6. Don't underdress. Russians tend to dress up to go out more than Americans.
7. Guys: don't expect Russian women to go Dutch. Don't even expect them to understand the concept.
8. Guys again: Don't let a woman carry something heavy if you're able to carry it for her.
9. Don't let an elderly person or pregnant woman stand on public transportation. Get up and offer them your seat.
10. Don't burp in public. If you do, don't acknowledge that it happened.
For the explanations behind these rules see the For Dummies website at: