Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Prokofiev
Every musician develops a taste towards certain styles of music but also towards certain composers.   Since I have been playing since I was five I have performed various pieces by different composers.  I found that I tend to enjoy as well as preform well music by Russian composers.   My favorite turns out to be Prokofiev.  Upon talking to other pianists I found it interesting that they would think that his music often represents many factory noises.  As someone that has had some Russian influence in my life as well as lived on watching Russian animations, I had a completely different view.   When I play or listen to his music I hear many of the Russian folk characters coming to life.  There is a sense of magic that if you would just not see if one thought he was just trying to represent simple factory noises.  You do not need to know the folk tales to fully hear that his music represents them.  One amazing example is the concerto that I am currently working.  I challenge you to listen to the different movements and hear that there is more to his music than just simply lots of noises.  There is a magic there that simply cannot be described.




No comments: