Monday, February 1, 2016

Learning Russian on Vacation

My family and I are always skiing over winterbreak. We are in the same small town in Austria called Mayrhofen every single winter since 13 years. There have always been Russians skiing in the same resort, but the number of Russians visiting Mayrhofen is increasing. Many shops added their name or their description on the front sign in Russian. Some shops even changed their goods to more expensive clothing, jewelry or shoes, to meet the demand of the Russians.

But this year was different! I was actually able to read the Russian signs and to understand some words when Russians were in my ski-lift. I also always tried to learn knew words when we were in restaurants. Most of the restaurants have their menu in three languages: German, English and Russian. I enjoyed to read the menu in the three languages I know and to compare the different names for ingredients.

No comments: