Students @ Stetson University exploring Russian culture.
Неофициальный сайт студентов Стетсноского университета изучающих русский язык и культуру.
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
Lebedushka – A Russian Dessert
Lebedushka is a two layer gelatin dessert, with the first layer consisting of a creamy ricotta mixture, with the top layer being fruit and a flavored gelatin.
2½ tbsp unflavored gelatin 1 cup water 2 cups ricotta cheese 1 cup sour cream 1 cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 (3 oz) packages flavored gelatin (such as strawberry, raspberry, strawberry-kiwi, etc.) 2-3 kiwis 1 pint strawberries (or any other berries)
1. Pour the water into a shallow bowl. Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over the water. Set aside for about 5 minutes for the gelatin to bloom( you will know what this means when you wee it). Place the bloomed gelatin mixture in the microwave for 1 minute. Do NOT boil. Set aside to cool.
2. Place the ricotta cheese, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla extract into the blender. Blend just until smooth.
3. When the gelatin mixture has cooled for about 5 minutes, add it to the ricotta mixture and blend to combine.
4. Divide the ricotta mixture among 6 individual cups. Chill in the refrigerator until the mixture sets, 1-4 hours. The longer the mixture to sets, the thicker it will become.
5. When the ricotta mixture has set, prepare the flavored gelatin according to the package instructions. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Peel and slice the kiwi and slice the strawberries. You can use many combinations of fruit and berries for this recipe. Place the kiwi and strawberries on top of the chilled ricotta layer. Pour the prepared flavored gelatin over the fruit and the ricotta layer. Chill until set, 1-4 hours. Garnish with more fruit or whipped cream.